Sunday, December 10, 2006

Cannot find server

"Cannot find server," or "Finner ikke server" as it is in Norwegian, must be the most annoying message my computer can display. Sometimes I've just been too quick to click on the Internet button, but most time it's because the connection is stuffed or the network is down, or some other thing that makes me incapable of doing anything useful, and leaves me sitting with Solitaire or the Paint program. Not a recipe for a productive day at work.

I've chosen to rename my blog "Finner ikke server" because it is so beyond Guatemala it's time to think a little different. This blog isn't just my travel diary anymore it's a summary of the weird and wonderful things that goes on in Oslo and Norway or wherever I happen to be.

But why have I chosen to rename it with the one message I hate the most? Because it's an invitation to innovative thinking and creativity. It's requires problem-solving and brain-activity. It could be the small gesture of just re-booting the modem or pull out all the cords of the rooter and stick'em back in, but it could also require a call to Elkjøp's Help Hotline. And if nothing works you'll have to figure out something else to do (Solitaire doesn't count, it is so boring you might as well put your screensaver on "a travel through space" and start counting the stars). But you might get something else done you wouldn't have done otherwise.

"Finner ikke server" is a reminder of the fact that things don't always go as planned, or as you prefer/wish/want. Sometimes things screw up, and you just got to live with it. But, as with the internet-connection, if somethings don't go the way you want, you just got to work with it, get over it and move on. It makes you feel better trying to figure out a solution to a problem than sitting down, frowning and eating a family-sized block of chocolate (I've tried it, and it doesn't do the work).

But all this cheer-up-chat isn't meant as a pep-talk to myself, there is nothing to worry about. It's just interesting to think about how you are doing sometimes. Sit still. Close your eyes. Play some nice music or be in a quiet room (not like me, who sitting in the kitchen with the fridge trying to exceed a space-rocket when it comes to making sounds). And think. Is there anything that's not good? Is there anything you want? Or don't want? Are you ok? Are you happy?

I'm bloody fantastic.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...