Saturday, April 04, 2009

Big Brother Africa


Well, time flies when one is having fun! I left Cape Town nearly two weeks ago and am on tour to Victoria Falls. I wasn't sure what a trip of 24 people would bring, but I think it might be slightly comparable to Big Brother. 24 totally different people put together, not in a house, but on a 4x4 truck and it is supposed to take us through Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Some people are leaving us on the way and others joining (and unfortunately you can't vote people off), but otherwise I suspect it is slightly like Big Brother. We eat, drink and sleep in tents together and privacy is something belonging to another world.

A short introduction to the partcipants: an elderly, well-travlled and very down-to-earth Brit who unfortunately left us in Swakopmund, but kindly donated his sleeping-bag and pillow to me so I now no longer freeze or get a headache from sleeping on the ground. You have the single and explorative Australian who reminded me of my former accent (now nicely washed out to an inrecognizable mix), there are the older Germans and the teenypopper British girls who funnily enough matched up to become two pairs. There are the French people who are, well typically, French as well as a lovely German couple who also left way too early in Windhoek. In addition, a few alcoholics and our two guides. One of them very unprofessionally pulled me over on the third night and said that his heart forced him to proclaim his eternal love for me, immediately losing all the respect I could have had for him, and forfeiting any chance of getting a tip at the end of the trip. I told him I had a boyfriend at home, but he just shrugged his shoulders, told me to «feel free» and that I should be allowed an African boyfriend as well. I've ignored the bastard ever since, and if I get the chance I'll let him know that people like him are the exact cause of the HIV-pandemic on this continent.

Guess that's all for now. Cheers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...