Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Exposé-mania?

It took me a few weeks from Facebook really hit it on in Norway til I actually joined. Can't be bothered I thought, too time consuming. I anticipated in a previous blog that my Facebook-career would be short and sweet, but unfortunately I have to admit that I haven't deactivated my account yet nor given up checking it weekly. Daily if there's a lot going on.

During my recent trip around Southern Africa people wouldn't ask for your e-mail, they'd find you on Facebook and before you knew it, know everything and a bit more about you. Where do you study? Where do you work? Add a quick Google-search to that and I know what you did last summer, how much money you made last year and what you'll have for dinner tomorrow. I know all about your ex'es, your grandma and your fling last summer. Not to mention your darkest secrets and that photo from the local newspaper when you were 13. Still embarrased about that, huh, and you curse Romerike Arbeiderblad every day for being so damn early on the internet.

I discussed it with Kristoffer, who's not the biggest Facebook fan, and he said that in a few years time, this "exposé-mania" will be our way of life, but looking at Twitter and Facebook-updates about anything and everything one could argue that it already is. But as he said, it takes 18 seconds to feel empathy, an important feeling in human relations, and Facebook-status-updates, sms'es or the 160 letters Twitter gives you to express your current situation just isn't enough for other people to care. So, what? We become a generation of narcisistic people desperately wanting people to care, but fail, because we use the wrong medium and should've written a letter instead? By hand? Jens Stoltenberg is on Twitter reaching out for the youth of Norway to vote for him in the next election. Mette-Marit and Haakon were just looking for a web-director to work with them in the Castle, mainly with stuff like Twittering and Facebook. "Kronprins Haakon is grumpy this morning. Long day ruling the country ahead." I can't wait til that pops up in my Twitter-feed.

Now as my newfound Twitter-interest is a fact I had to update my status on Facebook. But I'm not sure if updating my status to inform people that they now can follow me on Twitter as well might be a bit overkill? I mean, what about the rest of the world?

2 comments:

Christer Solskogen said...

So, what's your twitter username?

Maria Philippa said...

Notlonelyplanet

Føler at jeg må kjøre samme eksponeringsnavn overalt når jeg først ønsker å eksponere meg.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...