Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pretty Woman

Considering my Facebook-status hasn't been changed to "Home at last" you can all guess that the flights last night were so overbooked there was no chance for a stand-by-ticket. As I was waiting in line several women broke down in tears at the counter as they were told there was no room for them on the plane, so my chances were pretty much gone before I'd even tried. I've threatened to make a similar scene tomorrow if that were to happen to me, but will solve that problem if it occurs.

Now however, I was stuck at the airport. I walked around for a while seeing the lines of people decreasing until just a few scattered people were around. Suddenly a brush of panic - is this really safe? I'm an airport-sleeper-virgin, and wasn't really sure I wanted OR Tambo to be my first, so headed over to the police-counter (there are several shattered around the airport, but not really sure if that indicates security or just danger and therefore the need for so much security), but he just grinned and said it was perfectly safe, they'd roam the airport all night, and I wouldn't have any problems. I was appointed to some silver chairs where I could stay and wouldn't be too lonely. On the seat next to me there was another girl passed out, and as she drowsily opened her eyes after a while I asked if she was going to stay the night and if so, if she wanted company, and then I got myself an airport-buddy! Robyn was 22 years old, her dad approved of her sleeping in the airport and she'd just been to America for six months. We had a great chat and nice dinner at Mugg and Bean, followed by a tour to find the best seat to sleep on. At the entrance to Arrivals there were a few slightly cushioned benches, so we faced them towards each other, locked the baggage to the trolley and went to sleep. I won't say this was the best sleep I've ever had, and as Robyn woke up at 4.30am to check in I was more than happy to join her for brekky at (you guessed it) Mugg and Bean. After she'd left I went up to the airport observation deck, took out my sleeping bag and slept for another two hours.

Of course BA couldn't get me on a flight tonight either, but at least I was going to opt for a proper sleep. I called the Airport Grand and they had rooms for ZAR 500 (about 350NOK, AU$70), and I thought what the heck, I'll go for it. It's overcast and not very nice in Jo'burg today, so the hotel didn't look very nice as we arrived. After Sunday night's dissapointment I have become more aware of how well hotel room photographers do Photoshop. Don't think there are many rooms that have exceeded my expecations from what have been shown in the pictures, but as I entered the room (and expecting something like the shoebox at Thon Hotel Tromsø) I was met by the crispy white linen on the massive double bed, a fully stocked bathroom (more important than a minibar) and a bathtub with my name on it and I felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, just after Richard Gere has accepted to pay her $3000 for her to stay the week. As Richard Gere walks out the door she runs through the apartment and jumps face first onto the bed, screaming with excitement.

I couldn't wait til the porter had left the room and did the same.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...