Friday, March 20, 2009

Last day

The last day somewhere is always kind of special. You want to get as much as possible out of it or repeat something that was really fun that you'd love to do just one more time.

30. January 2001 - Last day in Norway before ten months in Australia: I finished packing and walked around nervously all day. Couldn't stand the thought of saying goodbye to my mum for so long. I cried like a baby when Cristina and dad drove me to Oslo. The next morning as I was boarding the flight it had all turned into butterflies and I couldn't wait for the plane to leave.

30. November 2001 - Last day in Australia after ten months in Australia: I think my plane left in the afternoon, and I'd gotten a few good friends and extended host-family to take me to the airport. As we came into the departure hall another group was standing a few meters away, sobbing like crazy, it was the Finnish exchange girl who sat next to me on the plane down. I had to carry her through customs, because she couldn't see through all her tears.

14. February 2003 - Last day on the Cook Islands: Ah, this was a good one. Astrid, Shabana and me had had a great week on Rarotonga. We'd driven our scooters back to its owner and had a fantastic dinner. Astrid nearly left the island with Shabana's credit card, but we managed to give it to her somehow. The flight was delayed though, so the romantic night was spent on a bench outside as the air con was struggling to combat the 35+ degrees, while we were robbing the vending machine for chocolate.

16. December 2005 - Last day in Australia, and still havent't been back: Buhu, this is a sad one, but I had a great day. Despite my family being in town I'd begged Andy to work one last shift with me and I rocked up at Starbucks at 6am to do my favourite shift with my favourite Starbucks-buddy. We had great fun, mum and Cristina dropped by for a visit and had a latte and we sightseeinged and enjoy the glorious Melbourne the rest of the day. Dinner at Golden Orhcids in China Town and the day was complete.

08. February 2006 - Last day in Norway before heading to Guatemala: I searched through every piece of luggage for my insurance card, but couldn't find it. Stuff I thought in the end. And so I did.

8. May 2006 - Last day in Guatemala: Veronica, Sara, Kristin and me had had a long drive from Copan in Honduras and we arrived in Antigua. Went straight to a Place to Stay Hostel and lovely Raul let us camp out in his backyard. Sara and me went to buy McDonalds and McFlurrys with Hersheys kisses and caramel sauce and we had comida tipica, before heading to Guatemala City and meeting the rest at the hostel there.

21. March 2009 - Last day in Cape Town: time will tell, but it has been a fantastic stay, and I thank everyone involved for their help, support, laughter, ice cream, chocolate, gym companionship, movie buddies, paragliding pilots and the like. Last days sort of imply saying goodbye to people, which always is sad, however, with the philosphy that it's not goodbye, but "See you!" I usually manage. Love you all.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...