Monday, February 25, 2008

Alien vs predator

For years my idea of a perfect Valentin’s Day was a few chick flicks, Reeses Peanut Butter cups, Oreos, lollies and family sized blocks of Cadbury’s all consumed in the near proximity of close friends, mostly female. My general views on the day have not changed, I still don’t think “Kjærlighet kan kjøpes” but my preferances have slightly changed and I’ve come to the simple conclusion: SINGLE LIFE SUCKS. I might be slighly biased, sitting alone in a hotel room north of the polar circle due to work, but over the past year I’ve come up with some good reasons why a relationsships aren’t as bad as I once thought them to be:

- There is someone to say goodbye to when you leave for work.
- There is someone to greet you when you get home for work.
- There is someone to appreciate your cooking.
- There is someone to laugh at your failed attempts for new fancy dishes. I won’t mention the coffee-Baileys-chocolate-pudding-with-sugared-glasses-and-passionfruit-topping I tried for my birthday.
- There is someone to give you a hug when you need one.
- There is someone to hug when you think they need it.
- There is someone to laugh with and at.
- There is someone to teach you stuff you never thought you would be good at (Portal/Caraccassone/snowboarding).
- There is someone to admire your new outfit, underwear or haircut.
- There is someone who misses you when you are gone, and that one little thing actually makes you want to come back.

That was all the gooey stuff, so if my single friends haven’t puked yet, I’ll just give you a quick reminder of all the other benefits as well:

- You get two-for-one discounts.
- You don’t have to book single rooms at hotels which are at least 2/3 the price of a double, never half.
- You always have a buddy whilst diving.
- You never have to walk home alone.
- You get **** whenever you want. Almost.
- You don’t have to watch Disney Channel because there is nothing else to do.
- You have someone to say goodnight to, and aren’t crazy if you don’t get a reply, the other person has just fallen to sleep already, while a pillow would never give you a reply and your craziness could be discussed.
- You have someone who unconditionally will back you up in arguments.
- You have someone to plan fun stuff together with; holidays, bike trips, next week’s dinner.
- You have someone to care about, and who cares about you in return.

I could probably have written a similar entry about the wonders of singlelife, and have recently been inspired by a junk mail who’s been highlighting the benefits of a cucumber vs a man, but hey, I’ve been enough sarcastic and hypocritical about this topic, enough for a lifetime, and it’s only 51 weeks til Valentin’s.

I can’t wait to come home.

1 comment:

tonje camilla said...

hvor mye rødvin hadde du drukket da du skrev dette? min rødvin fra tre dager tilbake holdt på å komme i retur. likevel kommer jeg til å lese dette innlegget enda en gang.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...