Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sidewalks are not for walking, cutlery not for eating





It is hard to know where to start. India has blown my expectations to pieces (along with the generator opposite my lunch cafe which also went up in smoke), it is everything, and nothing of what I expected, or whatever I expected was succeded enormously. The generalisations are easy: the trafic is chaotic, extremely dangerous and quite entertaining. The food is not as Indian in Norway, you really do eat with your fingers, and a dinner easy costs less than 30 NOK, drinks included. But the general feeling of India?

Pondicherry is by many dubbed "India light" with its French and Indian quarters, religious plurality and foreigners, but I can't in my wildest imagination foresee what the "the real" India then must be like. Chaotic is an understatement, that's all I can think of. Nevertheless, it is a fantastic diversity of culture and people, and I've several times "understood" my religion readings better, even after just 36 hours in the country, because you really must experience this first hand, and the people are easy to get along and enjoy that you come for a visit.

With that in mind I leave you wondering what this country will bring next as I go to bed after establishing that the cricket outside my door has only moved 20 cm the last two hours, meaning it won't reach my pillow until the morning, and I can live with that. After all, I'm in India!

2 comments:

tonje camilla said...

nytt kamera?? pass godt på det!

Anonymous said...

'you really do eat with your fingers'

reminds me of one of my favourite living in norway stories..i was at UIO for some time sharing a kitchen with others at the student residence and my son had come to visit for a day after back packing through europe..we made some south indian comfort food .. rice and rasam..and were tucking into it with our fingers and looked up to see some astonished (sideways) glances from the norwegians..i thought i would put them out of their discomfort and said..have you never seen anybody eating with their fingers before..and they went 'nooooooooo'...after that, ofcourse, everybody felt quite free to discuss varying cultural practices!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...