Sunday, April 02, 2006

I miss Australia

Because in Australia everyone always asks you how you are doing, and it is a great feeling to constantly walk around and declare you are having an absolute ball. Because I am.

I arrived back in Xela this afternoon after a short week at the finca and it has been great! It was dark and wet when we arrived on Monday night, and we had to push the ute up one of the hills, it was so slippery. But, gone was the nervousness of a new family, we knew the toilet facilities would be different and beans would be a part of every meal, and we were welcomed straight back into Guatemalan farmer-life from the word "go".

It was bananapicking the third day we were up there, and I went with hostmum Roselia to Montesuma at 6am in the morning. We gathered 13 bundles of bananas and took a few of them home, before we picked up another few in the afternoon.

We've done some good interviews for our documentary we are going to make after the stay, it is especially interesting to talk to the teachers at the school. They have great ambitions for the kids, but the government does nada to help them along the way. Very frustrating, but it makes a good interview.

Other than that I've actually only eaten beans twice this week. The food has been pretty good, I get lots of soup and fried platanos, which I love, and Tonje Camilla hate. Last night I heard the first drunken finca-people. There is next to no (visible) alcohol on the finca, but last night there was a small gathering outside my house, and the family which usually goes to bed by 8pm stayed up to past midnight. And this morning there was a slab of empty Brahva beer bottles to return to the shop.

Well, off to write an application for a job as assistent to this autumn's Solidaritetsbrigade. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...