Monday, August 18, 2008

What the fuck is Mat.Nat?

Øltelt (beer tent). It has the same wonderful associations as "utepils" (beer in the sun), "jentekveld" (girls' night in/out) and "hjemmebrent" (moonshine). When you hear it you smile, first with your eyes, because you remember something fun happening on a previous occasion where beer tent/girls night/moonshine was involved, then with your mouth so the whole world can see you have good memories of beer tent/girls night/moonshine too.

Today I had my first day at the master program at Oslo University College and this year's first beer tent experience at Oslo University Blindern. And unfortunately I was hit by the one thing I thought my appearantly eternal student-status would cover up. My age. Because yes, at 24 you are no longer 18 (daah), and whether you wan't it or not, times change. First of all I study a course that mainly attracts girls, secondly the only boys I met tonight where out-own-town master students, which for obvious reasons where out of bounds. Thirdly, universities, especially the ones focusing on social scienes and humanities, overall attract more girls than boys, so I was stuck at a place with bitchy teeny poppers fresh out of puberty, and no fun in sight. As a master student, this uni stuff is freaking serious. No more mucking around not showing up for class. No more ignoring to buy the recommended books because they are too expensive. No more three-days-in-a-row-drinking-sessions, because you have to go to work tomorrow. I visited two new Blindern-pubs tonight, Uglebo and RF, and I wanted to run out of there screaming, pulling my hear and being a kid again. That's a great start to a master program.

Shit, I miss Australia.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...