Wednesday, March 08, 2006

License to kill...I mean drive.

Just a very short update from the middle of nowhere. Happy International Women's Day to all the "mujeres" out there. It is also the reason we've escaped the jungle and get to spend a few hours close to a internet connection, La Bendicion has a female group that invited us to celebrate the day with them at a community house in Mazatenango, an hours drive from the finca. And here comes the issue with the chicken buses again, the drivers CAN NOT DRIVE! It is absolutely ridiculous, and every time I get off I think that was the worst driver ever, but no, next time will be worse.

Anyway, I am having an allright time at La Bendicion. I spent the first night throwing up all over my family's courtyard, but other than that it's been hot, sticky and hard work. I've planted a 1000 pineapple plants and cleaned areas the size of a footballfield for bananapalms. By all means, it is absolutely amazing, I've done stuff I never would dream about, tasted the weirdest fruit, and I just have to say, to give a bananatree one good wack with the machete and then see it fall over is one very good to get rid of any tension. But it's tough. I'm looking forward to come back to the big city and just relax. The days end at 8pm when the family goes to bed, and starts at 6am, which is not too bad for those who know me.

Have a lovely time til next week. Out coordinator Marte and assistant Elin (whose job I want) are coming up to the finca later today, so I'm guessing it will be stocking up on ice cream and heading back to the jungle.

Cheerio!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...